Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Flyers....3...2...1 FLY

We went to Worlds of Fun on Sunday, in the rain. In 50 degree weather. And it was awesome! Something about plummeting at 75 MPH and not feeling your butt touch the seat because of the momentum just does it for me every time. Ahh, the rush of your face peeling back against the wind, not even being able to scream because you're going so fast. That's what sky diving is like.
Sure, after awhile, your head hurts and you can't tell which way is up and maybe you feel a bit queasy eventually. But I love it.

The ripcord was there, taunting me. It said, "Remember when I was so expensive you couldn't buy me? Well, now you're all grown up and you can do it. Let me take you on a ride... please."
I said, "yes, ripcord. yes. I want you to let me fly really f***ing high and it's going to be great." I bounded over to the line like a little kid and signed myself, Virginia and Johnanne for an awesome ride. Johanne and Virginia had done it before, but I was a n00b. Dan waited for me, holding my stuff. I really nearly felt like I should say goodbye to him before I did it, just in case. But there was no time, we were next on the list, getting fastened into a series of chains and cords and suits and me asking if anyone has ever peed on the ride. The answer is yes, but not very often.

Then we did it. We were pulled back into the longest, tallest tower by a giant bungee cord. I started turning red. And it was starting to get really f***ing scary. Honestly, I didn't think it was going to stop at all. But it did. They warned us about getting to the top, and how they would say: "Flyers! 3-2-1 FLY! Then one of us (johnanne) would pull the cord that cut us loose and let us fly across the entire park.
Until we passed the map for the first time, we had to keep our arms crossed, then we could fly.
And fly I did.
It was almost as awesome as skydiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment