Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cheesecake Factory

I haven't been there in at least 5 years, but tonight I will sign off of work, dress nicely, walk to the plaza, make a reservation for 17 people and sit, drinking water, crunching on lettuce and wait for an hour or so for all 17 people to arrive.

There will be no cheesecake for me, nor desserts of other kind, nor sweet martinis, for I am on the quest to prove that people are happier when thinner.
The last time I was there was before the stock split, before the unsplit shares were just 3 or 4 dollars per share. For some reason, I have an idyllic memory of driving to Des Moines, going to Olive Garden, watching my friends drink an entire bottle, watching them buy more, drinking it in the car, laughing with Dan, driving over to Cheesecake factory because we were still hungry for dessert after eating Italian and shopping for books. Yes! I do want a 9 dollar martini! YES! I do want a dessert or 2 to share with my friends. No, I don't care that it's 11 pm and I work at 8 tomorrow and still have to drive home for an hour. No, I don't care about gaining weight. Yes, my cute clothes still fit!

Anyway, tonight's little meeting should be OK. I've seen my coworkers more than I expected in the last few weeks. Last night, I met with the Jackson County legislator candidates and the candidates for our district of State Senate. One person thought the biggest problems facing our neighborhood was check cashing stores and pawn shops. Then he later said that gay and lesbians aren't good role models for children in foster care. I love hearing shocked gasps and seeing indignant faces in the crowd. We are perhaps, not used to hearing an honest opinion from a politician.
I guess we have to give him credit for being honest, but I'm guessing 0 people in the room agreed with him.
As long as there are no gasps of horror and shock in the work meeting tonight, all will be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment