Friday, May 18, 2012

Let the taper begin

One week until the race for the half marathon. Right now, I'd like to say that I feel that I've done enough training. But that's probably not the case, there's always MORE training to do. I could have run more than I did, I guess, or did more tempo runs.

But I think I've trained more for this race than I have for the marathon or the half marathon in 2008. Let's be happy with that, my little chicken.

This week's workouts in review:

Monday AM: Skipped the two fitness classes I had planned for the morning. Sorry, waking up for work at 515 AM is just too damned early.
Went to Somsen Circuit when I was done. Ran for one mile after the Somsen. Walked home for 2.8 miles, then walked around Lake Calhoun with Dan for another 5.25 miles. Had a mid-day massage as a birthday present from my office.

Tuesday: .My first Ultimate Frisbee game. Woooohoooooo. Our team is called Iron Man. I was pretty nervous about this game. I really still have no idea what I'm doing in the game, but the best thing to do is run around and defend the opponent. I was happy that I could keep up with the pace of the other girls running for most of the game. We had no subs, so I had to play the whole time. It was a fun workout--a lot more field sprinting than I'm used to, but that's really good for me.

Wednesday: Another rest day. My quads did not recover from the squats on Monday. In fact, my legs didn't work well at all. I skipped my Wednesday class, in fact. :( All I did was walk the dog for a mile or so.

Thursday: I was 15 minutes late to the Thursday class that just started. Guess what we were scheduled to do? more squats. I did them and my legs squeaked like baby rabbits but I pretended not to notice.
Thursday, I left work a little early to take care of some very small carpet installations and came back to spin just in time. It was a pretty good class--and then I went straight into the running from the bike. This is really good for your leg training during a triathalon and also really hard when you want to maintain race pace. Yowzah. Then I lifted weights for awhile & came home for a walk.

Friday: I drank beer and had cupcakes. This was a bad idea but also a good idea.

The taper should start now but I really want to swim tomorrow. It's going to be 90 here.

No comments:

Post a Comment