Tuesday, August 17, 2010

tattoos

Ahh, yes, there is one thing we forgot to mention about our trip to IA:
We are getting tattoos. Dan's going to tattoo the Amen break on his arm and I'm going to (most likely?) tattoo the Hyde Park Fleur de Lys on my back. Technically, Anne is going to do this for us.

It happened rather unexpectedly. We've been discussing it for months and months, but nothing came of it. For me, it's about the person doing it. I need to find someone that I trust and a place that I trust--and to be honest, I don't have the combo of those things in KC. But my friend from our class reunion ended up working at a tattoo parlor and she's literally one of the smartest women I know. She has a biology degree from UI and worked in a lab researching genetic pathways of oncological treatments for 2 years before she started tattooing. She and Tabitha saved my ass with clean clothes while I was hospitalized at UIowa and creates great artwork, and we took AP Biology together in highschool, where we taught little kids about genetically engineered core-bore repellant corn stalks. SOo I guess you can say that I trust Anne to 1) provide a good design 2) be friendly and diligent and 3) be clean and safe about the entire process. Neither of us wants hepatitis C.

So, stay tuned for photos, though I know my auntie and parents will frown when they see the end results. They say there's no reason for anything permanent.

I think the fleur will be perfect because it symbolizes our first house and all of the energy that I feel I put into the neighborhood.

Though, right now, thinking about the Homes Tour and after-party makes me sick with anxiety, mostly because I know we will have Jess's wedding and bachelorette party surround it, with little time for everything fun we hope to accomplish. Ahh, holy heck, the Homes Tour is a great time!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! There is nothing quite like getting a tattoo -- the anticipation beforehand, the adrenaline rush afterwards. It's awesome. And I totally feel you on wanting someone you know and trust to do the tattoo. I was lucky enough to find a place in Chicago that I love, and I've gotten all my work done there. The person doing your ink has such an impact on the overall experience that it's super important to find someone who will make you feel comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great. Hopefully she will post a picture here sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete