Sunday, August 1, 2010

Minnehahapolis

I made it back to Kansas City after a week away.

I'm not sure what it is about Minneapolis, maybe it's the fact that you can rent bikes there, that there are bike lockers and giant locker holders at every train station. Maybe it's that the Vikings and Twins stadiums are located downtown, right by 3 performing arts centers. Maybe it's the promotion potential or the restaurant we ate in at 3 AM on Friday night. Maybe it's the diverse neighborhoods or the fact that I'm just hungry for more urban exploring, but I loved this city. It could be that there are lakes everywhere, or that some of my good friends live there, but I LOVE it.

Coming back to Kansas City is hard. I forgot about everything, except for Dan and Nitro, and I am sure if they were up there with me and I had all of my stuff, it would have been 10 more weeks before I started to miss the city.

I resigned from my neighborhood post, effective in October. Now that I'm back, there are definite things that I would have missed. My hope isn't to hate on KC. In fact, I wish it all the best of luck. But I do know that to really change it, people have to get even more involved, and I'm burnt out. I feel like I'd either have to leave my job and devote all my energy to this city and improving it or I feel like I have to separate myself from it for awhile before I go crazy. It's been great watching people change it for the better, though, and watching people get recognized for their work. These people are the shining stars of this city and I hope that someday I can make as much of a difference as they have.

No comments:

Post a Comment