Saturday, December 25, 2010

Despite my best attempts to the contrary....

It's Christmas and I'm reading about Bikini Atoll islands. Naturally, I can't share this with other people, because it elicits the disgusted query, "Why are you talking about nuclear testing on Christmas?"

My answer: "I don't know why, it popped up on some foreign policy link I clicked on and now I can't stop."

I even started my internet browsing with the search "How to focus on others", "How to purify your heart" and by watching Meet Me in St. Louis clips with Judy Garland on Youtube. (Ding ding ding goes the trolley....)


A few days ago, I had a Christmas breakthrough. Some ladies invited me to a night of Cloud Cult documentary watching and the best cooking of brown rice peanut butter soup. I haven't confessed to them yet that my husband is the massive music adorer and I am merely the poser, but I think they'll understand when I eventually reveal the truth. The movie though, was really pure spirited and about leaving the world with a more positive spirit, more genuine and enthusiastic place than it was before you encountered that specific moment in time.   Yes, these things are cliche, but the frontman of Cloud Cult is really living this principle. I was inspired about doing the same with my training class of new hires that when I started walking back to the car, I was so devoted to fulfilling this dream that I'd walked 3 blocks past the car, and I didn't have my scarf, my gloves, my hat and it was below zero.

I don't attend church on Christmas any longer. The message though, sometimes finds its way to us in the most unusual format.  I could, of course, spend several minutes discussing why I don't think the message from Cloud Cult matches the message of Christianity, and I've become disenchanted with parts of Christmas in the first place, but it is 12/25 after all, and some things should remain sacred, even if I choose to read about the Bikini Atoll. 67 nuclear tests on The Marshall Islands....

No comments:

Post a Comment