Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Off with a bang!

I resolved to work less this year.  I know that's crazy, but I really have been working too much and  I want to get back to doing things that I actually like. So far, this resolution isn't working out so well, because every OT opportunity that I see equates itself with splendid, irresistible cash.  Cash that buys my Birdies Lingerie, cash that pays for my graying root-concealment, cash that justifies pretty much any expenditure that I make beyond necessities.  And...cash that pays the bills.

So I've signed up for 3 weekends of work so far this year, which can't be that bad, I imagine. I've been training new employees for the last 3 weeks and it's fun because you get to train them for everything you learned the hard way. The bad side is that training them for everything you learned is difficult when you just want them to get the basics first and then remember all of the little details that make the job hard. But I think this group is going to survive and be ok on their own.

My other resolution is to run a marathon, which might be stupid or might be amazing. So far, I've made zero progress towards this goal.



I also resolve to watch more movies, and we started out by going to True Grit. Tonight I'll watch some library movies and this weekend (when I'm not back at work!) I'll be watching other stuff on Netflix.
The extra reading has been taken care of by the Kindle, which has transported Alison Weir to me nonstop. I'm reading her fiction book right now, but the nonfiction is much better. This book is a novelization of Elizabeth I. If I didnt hold Weir in esteem for her nonfiction books, I'd throw this one in the trash.

I resolve to sew pillows from the pillow book, knit with my yarn from 2008 and walk the dog more. I resolve to bike to the bus when it's warm, canoe and swim and fish this summer, make Dan a t-shirt quilt, take the nieces and nephew to snowboard, ski more, clean more, and be on top of everything.

I also resolve to volunteer more, but not so much that I get entirely sick of it and hate it. Not so much that I hate other people. I resolve to save more money instead of spending it on dying my hair, buying clothes and going to movies.

Does anyone ever do anything they want to do in these lists? I doubt it. But god bless us all for trying so damned hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment