Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Babies and Argentina

After I moved here, the baby bug bit me. It's bitten me in the past, but a vacation always cured it or common sense prevailed.  Or we wanted to have kids, but it wasn't quite right. Should we have tried the night Don Helvick passed away? Was it better to have waited because my parent's divorce was so messy?  Should we wait until we were completely satisfied with our careers or found our dream job? Does taking that "one big vacation" really outweigh the benefit of having kids now? There's that anecdotal truism that says you can't vacation after you have kids. Some people seem to prove this wrong, like my parents who went to Korea with their kids in 2008 or an acquaintance whom took her twins to an African safari in 2008 or our cousins, whom vacation to Portugal every other summer to visit their family.  Are these people outliers?


I want to have kids and I'd like to start....now. I'd really like to start the adoption process, with the meetings and the social work visits and the applications and the paperwork. I know it can take a long time, sometimes, or sometimes it happens really quickly. The obstacle to beginning these things is just that we still own a house in KC and we're not sure if it will sell once we list it on the market. Who wants to have a kid, a rent payment, and a house payment?
Logically, I know it's best to wait. I come home and read the NYTimes Travel section with a trip to Argentine fantasyland. I'm not out buying my plane tickets to South America and I'm not out having kids. I am a DINK, all dressed up and not nowhere to go. It seems a little sad, a little wasteful, a little empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment