Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Lechon--you know you want it

So after TOPS, we went out for something I'd been waiting for the whole time. Sort of.

It's LECHON!

Lechon is a pig, roasted, and it's the Filipino specialty. They deep fry the skin, so it's extra crunchy like a potato chip. An apple goes in the pig's mouth. For real!  There's a side of dipping sauce made out of the pig's blood. I am a wuss. I couldn't do it with the blood sauce.

I also am a jerk, because I ordered a mango smoothie, but the vendor was paying for it, which meant I was costing them more than I should have cost them. I thought I was paying for it and felt bad. Everyone else fought over the pig's skin, but I couldn't manage it. I am tempted to go find a photo of this. I also saved my napkin from the restaurant but after about 9 months, I finally tossed it.

After our Lechon dinner, we went to a karaoke bar. All of us said that we'd like to have something like this back home. Floor one was a pool table lounge with beer. I had some Red Horse, which you can really only find in Cebu and central Philippines. Everwhere else is San Miguel. After a few sips of the red horse, we went upstairs to the second floor, which was KARAOKE!
And we sang.
And sang.
and sang. (side note: I sang Personal Jesus, Depreche Mode version, and people asked me if it was a church song. LULZ)

By now, it was about 830-9 PM and I was operating on 3 hours of sleep for the prior 36+ hours. Some people can do this just fine, but I am not one of them. I guess I am broken in that regard, because I'd love to be one of those people who can do tons of shit on no sleep. Many of my fellow singers would randomly collapse for about 10 minutes on the shared sofas, and come back to life after a cat nap. I should have done this--but instead, at 1030 PM, I said I could last for 10 more songs and went to the bathroom.

In the bathroom, I realized that 10 more songs was not a possibility for me. My eyes looked more bloodshot than I've ever seen them. I was swaying on my feet.  So the vendor drove me and another American back to the Cebu Marriot, where I was so tired that I didn't think I could actually sleep and took some benadryl to really seal the deal.

I guess everyone else (whomever remained---many people crashed before me and many lasted after me) went out to the strip club after this, but that's not really my speed, so I didn't make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment