Sunday, December 9, 2012

If I won the lottery, If I was that brave!

A lucky family in MO just won the giant powerball jackpot last week. or maybe now it has been two weeks ago.

When I was a kid, like every kid, I thought about all of the cool things I'd do with the lottery. Then I stopped in adulthood because it seemed stupid and destined to make one feel depressed.

But I let myself think about it again this time and did not get depressed.  I think Bill and Melinda Gates had a harder challenge: making their investment in the world sustainable.  That's what I'd like to do.

So what would I do?

I'd incorporate and start buying properties on Troost. I'd try to do it discretely so that the price didn't skyrocket as  more slum-lords got greedy and refused to sell. The nice thing would be that I'd have secret money so I could just pay the greedy ones to get lost. No one wants to reward greedy, crazy landowners on Troost, but it would be great to get rid of the crazy people so the normal people could continue their work.   I'd buy out all of those terrible used car lots where no one really ever buys a car.  I'd get architectural proposals for rebuilding, designs that are sustainable for commercial use and match the architectural qualities of the buildings.

Everything would be LEED and solar-powered.

Then I'd start renting the business spaces for business uses, or at business-incubator prices.
I'd start the Troost CID, so that it would be patrolled by private police at night to prevent theft, until at the end of the day, the neighborhood was safe, had local and new businesses in it, with a clean street-scape.

It would start with just the 42-47th blocks of Troost, of course.

How cool would that be!?

No comments:

Post a Comment