Wednesday, January 16, 2013

37 week check-up

Note to self: Do not schedule appointments at 4 PM with someone who seems like they've been in nursing for a bit too long.
I just really hope this nurse doesn't end up delivering for us--if she does, I'm out! I will go home and deliver the baby in my living room. (probably not, but.... wow, I might also strangle this lady if we meet while I'm in a lot of pain)

At any rate, she asked me if I wanted to be examined this week. The midwives don't usually do pelvic exams unless there's a reason, which is actually nice. But I thought I was getting tested for group b strep, so I mentioned that.
The nurse said "oh, yeah... I guess we could check for that."
When she was done, she asked if I wanted her to check my cervix.

Since I can't really do that myself, I said "well, yeah, I guess I'd like to see if anything is happening yet."
She sighed and then did it.

Ok, lady. I don't want to stick my hands up someone else's vagina at 5 PM on Wednesday night, either, but....that's kind of why I'm here.

At any rate, when I asked for advice, she said I should try to have a lot of sex and go to the movies a lot since I couldn't do that soon.

That's not really the advice I was looking for, but I guess she was being practical.

I'm sort of torn on this. On one hand, I'm really happy that the center I am using will use all-natural methods, provide my own Doula, give me a water birth option and definitely not do anything stupid like episiotomy  or cesarean when neither would be needed. 
On the other hand, seeing someone who doesn't care at all is annoying. I don't want to be a drama queen or an attention whore, but some empathy might be nice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment