Friday, January 25, 2013

aughghghhghghg.

After I was scheduled to leave for the day, but still at work, wrapping things up, I got an email that said that the HR team did not have my FMLA paperwork. This was the very first form that my boss and I completed, and I faxed it in on 1/3 (we carefully waited until after the first of the year and then waited one more day to let everything from 2012 wrap up)

My boss and I went over it a few times (checking vacation, PTO and unpaid times to use) and a couple of days after we sent it, the HR team notified him that they had the paperwork to begin the claim.

I just had to fill out a medical form from the health care provider explaining if a C-section was planned and what kind of recovery time would be needed, which I faxed in a few days ago to the alternate claim provider.

Quickly, I replied to the email saying that I had already sent that form and that they should have it. The the HR person calls me directly, insists that they didn't get the form that I first sent with my boss on 1/3. They need a new copy or to re-send the original. I've been keeping the original in my pending hanging file, but on the phone with HR, I couldn't find it.  (I have a *ton* of paper pass through my desk daily and I now sadly realize that I may have shredded the original or taken it home or just placed it in a different paper pile, since right now there's a million things on my desk.)  At least I have a digital copy, which of course, is not signed by my boss. Under most circumstances, I can usually just walk over to my boss and get it signed.  Except my boss is on PTO today. When he's back in on Monday, he can fax and resubmit this.

I know it's not a big deal. It's a piece of paper. I can refax this piece of paper into the office.
It's just that I thought everything was taken care. I started filling out this form months ago, when I first found out I was pregnant. I called all of the HR departments (3 of them!), wrote everything down, took wonderful notes. We were being so careful and it still got messed up.

The HR lady insists that I must have sent it to the wrong number or faxed it upside down. I know that I didn't do that. I even had the confirmation page stapled to my original copy. *sigh*

So I confess that I started crying. At work. I haven't cried at work for a couple of years. I put the phone down and just cried for 3 or 5 minutes while the HR woman tried to tell me what she needed. I know she could hear me crying, but I don't think she realized that I wasn't listening to anything she was saying because the receiver was on the desk. Anyway, I will try to hold the baby in this weekend so that I can go to work on Monday, find the proof I need to show them that my boss and I did fax this form and then call the other 2 departments to be sure they haven't messed anything up.

God knows if my claim gets rejected, I am going unpaid for my leave and I'm not going to let that happen. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment