Wednesday, October 14, 2009





I'm trying to think of where we left off, and regret that I haven't been as prompt with updating the blog. I'll just try to attribute it to the fact that we're being active.

Friday night, I scored some tickets to the Decemberist show. Thanks, Craigslist. I was lucky that Craig wanted to go, too, because the guy on Craigslist would only sell the pair at a discount.

Decemberists rock!

I was slightly expecting a show like the First Avenue club, since that's the only show I've been to in Minneapolis. The State Theatre was so different than that. It was ornate and beautiful, and I don't think that anything compared to it in KC, except for maybe the Uptown Theatre. Or whichever one is downtown. I wish I had my camera with me when I went to the show, but I was afraid they'd confiscate it. Decemberists played the Hazards of Love all the way through and then some big hits. Dan was right, the show was well worth it. I just want to listen to that album over and over.

When I got home from the show, Eddie and Kent were in the hotel lounge, so I had a drink with them and went to sleep.

Saturday, we used our gift card for the trip to Keys Cafe. YUM. I was surprised that I was able to eat everything they offered. I must have been hungry, despite that there was not a chocolate chip pancake option.

After Keys, I walked over to the Minneapolis Institute of Art. My boss suggested that we walk there, and it wasn't that bad. 16 blocks, and we were able to see a totally different part of the town. Well, "totally different", but it was cool. I think I'm forging a bond with Minneapolis, mostly because the skywalks are like Des Moines and the people were so nice here. Of all of my trips around the country this summer, the people in MN are the friendliest. Someone came up to me randomly in the art museum and started describing a piece from "The Lost Symbol", but they were polite and nice about it.
My favorite pieces couldn't be photographed, but for some reason, I really liked the MOUTH in the above photo. This sounds weird, but I just wanted to crawl into the mouth and take a nap. I know that's strange and silly, but that's the beauty of art. It opens your soul to a totally different place and sometimes you're a completely different person, just because of artwork. I should try to be an artist.... too bad I completely lack the talent.

So, we took a taxi back home b/c poor Craig only had a hoodie. I took a photo of the snow to show Dan, who was having a much warmer day when we received the snow. The other photo is of the roosters and statue and french room exhibit. I really like looking at room layouts and furniture from the past, so the MIA was a good fit for me.

Jen and Joe picked me up from the hotel. I had to take a 15 minute catnap before I met them, and they took me to their new house AND gave me an engagement photo. Jen reminded me that she'd actually been to our wedding....wow. They've done a lot of work to their house, and in only one year. Pretty impressive stuff. Joe helped me understand how soldering works on copper pipes, and I must say that it was helpful and nice to talk about silly home improvement concepts, because so many people I know either have perfect houses or don't do home improvement stuff. It always encourages me to know what work other people have done or tried on their own.

Anyway, I just rested on Sunday, because I was tired from the Hard Rock Cafe and William's hopping.

I guess I did do something on Sunday: Dan's cousins took me to breakfast at a place right outside of downtown. We've talked a lot about Don's death and illness and her mom's death last year. Sad subjects! I think I was feeling the weight of the trip and everything that's sucked this year, so I hope I didn't end up sounding like the most self-pitying person.

It's weird to be able to talk freely about it with family members, and I feel bad that Dan doesn't get to have these conversations, because they really help. Jennie and Jao (wow, that's similar to Jen and Joe, isn't it) are sweet and well educated, and I hope that I see them again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment