Monday, September 13, 2010

That age-old debate....

I guess the city vs. suburbs debate is only about 50 years old. It's coming here, to our lives soon. We could live in the heart of the city, near UM, with free parking and all utilities covered, save for electricity.

Or we could live in the suburbs, but near Dan's office, with free parking and all utilities covered, minus electricity. The cost of each place is the same. Suburban place has 2 pools, 2 saunas and a work-out room.

I feel like I owe it to my husband to give him the shorter commute after 3 years of his terrible and long commute. But at the same time, I commuted for him for about 2 years from DSM to Ames. I think mine was easier though, since the DSM traffic is so light. Hence, I feel a suburbian move is most likely going to happen for us, but the city has been such an integral part of my life that it will be hard to say goodbye to being within blocks of good food. Plus MN has such a great bike path system that we'll be missing in the 'burbs. And I'm afraid of turning into an isolated suburbanite who knows nothing of urban politics or urban planning & development, who is out of touch with reality and culture in a city. These are harsh stereotypes for me to make of suburbanites, I realize, so I should stuff it. :)

Hey, we were going on vacation to San Antonio in October, but I think right now we have to reschedule because it's pretty hard to start a new job then ask for 3 days off--and then drive 7 hours to the airport.

At any rate, we think that I can go, but Dan can't.
Our choices are:

Cancel the whole trip and try to get a refund (not likely)
Sell the tickets to a friend (is it hard to change the names on the tickets?)
Send me to TX and I'll try to find someone else to go in Dan's place? (hard to find a friend with that availability)

I shall call the airline to figure the rest out.

2 comments: